Mar 3, 2014

Well, my birthday has come and gone. It was the best birthday I’ve ever had and I’m hoping that is a foreshadow of what is to come this year.

On Thursday my boyfriend texted me and said he wouldn’t be able to make dinner since his day didn’t go quite as planned. He was at my parents’ house doing laundry and he asked me what I would like. I requested a small meat lovers no cheese pizza with gluten free crust from Domino’s. I was expecting to go home to our apartment and eat dinner there but a little bit later I received another text from him. He asked if I would like to eat dinner at my parents’ house because he was still working on laundry and my mom said pizza sounded good to her too. I ran home to pit my sweats on and wash my face and then I headed over to my parents’ house.

When I got there, the pizza wasn’t there. My mom told me they were having it delivered. I got a little suspicious because my parents never get pizza delivered. We were all talking about the Mason jar cake that my boyfriend had made for me. It was sitting on the counter and he explained to me that it was gluten free, dairy free and soy free AND it was his version of Funfetti cake, which is my favorite. He told me that he was also planning on making me whipped cream from coconut milk. In was so impressed, I usually am with him though.

The doorbell rang and no one went for the door. We all just kind of stared at each other. Finally my boyfriend headed towards the door and my parents and I followed. My boyfriend opened the door, peaked his head out and asked, “How much?” Then I heard a voice that I knew very well. I don’t even remember what he said but I knew it was my brother. I turned the corner and yelled, “I knew it!” I hugged him and my sister-in-law and we all went to the kitchen. My mom wanted to know how I knew they were coming. I gave her a couple examples of things that were said within the last week that made me sense he was going to come home for my birthday. She was very upset that I figured it out because she worked so hard to try and surprise me. I explained to her that I got my intuition from her and she could not be upset with that.

They all went on to tell me that the big surprise was that my boyfriend, my brother, my sister-in-law and myself were all supposed to go to Disneyland for my birthday. BUT we were supposed to be getting a huge rain storm, which originally I was really excited about. I love rain and I love cold weather and I’ve always prayed for rain on my birthday. We all decided that if it was raining in the morning we would just go down to San Diego to do a little shopping and maybe see a movie. The forecast said 100% chance of rain so I was pretty certain that Disneyland would be out of the question.
During this conversation I ate some of my meat lovers no cheese pizza with gluten free crust and it was amazing! I highly recommend it.
The morning of my birthday it was raining and I wasn’t surprised. My boyfriend gave me my present right after we woke up. He got me a Dell Venue tablet with Microsoft Office on it so that I can work on my blog anywhere! So thoughtful of him, huh? I’m currently writing this post on it so I’m already putting it to great use!

A few hours later we met my brother and sister-in-law at my parents’ house and we tried heading down to San Diego. When we got on the freeway it was raining so hard we couldn’t even see the car in front of us. We got off at the next exit and went to our mall. We went to Starbucks, did a little shopping and ate lunch at Red Robin. I made an appointment at Sephora for the next day so that I could get my makeup done before my birthday dinner. I was planning on purchasing some mew makeup anyways so I thought-why not get my makeup done while I’m at it?

We went back to my parents’ house and lounged for a little bit. My dad came home from work and we went to dinner at Claim Jumper. My mom was coming from work so she met us there. We enjoyed a nice dinner and I ate some delicious food! I started to feel a little uncomfortable after dinner. I was coughing quite a bit and my chest was really tight. We went back to my parents’ house but we only stayed a bit because I wasn’t feeling well. My boyfriend and I went home and the first thing I did was drink some apple cider vinegar with hot water and honey. This did help my cough a bit and I was glad. I played with my new tablet for a bit and then went to sleep.
My boyfriend went to work the next morning and I went back to my parents’ house for breakfast. My dad made me chilaquiles, my favorite! My sister-in-law had gone to visit her family so it was just the original four at breakfast. I didn’t think that would ever happen again after my brother got married. It was nice but there was definitely a void without my boyfriend or sister-in-law there.
I got my makeup done at 2:15. I requested a cat eye because I had never had it done before and I have no idea how to do that myself. I had a great experience at Sephora and I stocked up on some goodies while I was there too. My mom and dad had given me a gift card and I put it to good use.

We had a joint birthday dinner for my boyfriend and I on Saturday night (his birthday is March 6th). My boyfriend wasn’t expecting any of the attention but we made him a cake and he got a little spoiled as well. We were able to spend time with those closest to us.

His mom made me a chocolate vegan cake, which was delicious! We ended up having four cakes! Between the two of us we received some home décor, a slow cooker, a new sound system for our living room, cash, rose gold jewelry to add to my collection, an Origami Owl charm bracelet, clothes and a mounted photo of us from my brother’s wedding. I also had a friend from Nashville send me a paper weight with a pink cowgirl boot and it says ‘Lucky Lady’, perfect words to describe me! I am beyond blessed!

My brother and his wife decided to drive home Saturday night after my boyfriend’s family left. I did not think I would cry because my boyfriend and I will be going up to see them in less than three weeks… but then I saw my mom crying and I lost it. I did not stop crying until I went to sleep later that night. It’s just so hard having a huge piece of your life so far away. I am very grateful that they were able to come and spend my birthday with me but saying good-bye is always hard.

It’s time to go back to reality for a few days and then my boyfriend and I will celebrate his birthday on Thursday!
The lent season begins on Wednesday. Every year my boyfriend gives up meat for lent and I joined him last year. I told him I would do it this year as well. Which means as of Wednesday I will be meat, dairy and gluten free. This may be a challenge. I am going to have to be very creative. 

   Email me

No comments:

Post a Comment