Apr 27, 2014

I completed my first day of the Whole 30. It wasn't too difficult but I have a feeling I shouldn't get my hopes up just yet. I did some reading on Whole30.com and it seems like the first two weeks are the most difficult. Once I get past that point THEN I will get excited. 

For those of you who have never heard of the Whole 30 it is basically 30 days of eating whole foods to cleanse your system. This means no sugar, no alcohol, no soy, no grains, no beans or legumes, no dairy, no white potatoes, no processed foods of any kind. After 30 days, you slowly add back in the foods that you have eliminated to see how your body reacts to each of them. I'm not doing this to learn if I have any allergies. I am doing this in order to re-teach my body what real food is. I know as of lately I was relying a little too much on processed foods and my goal is to change that. 

I started my day yesterday with a fresh green juice made from cucumber, celery, spinach, green apple and lime. I also had a cup of coffee with coconut milk. I am pretty sure I looked disgusted with every sip I took. Over the last couple of years, I have slowly cut back on the amount of sweetener I use in my coffee but I've never been a fan of coffee with NO sweetener. I'm hoping in thirty days I will actually enjoy it. 

I had a banana for a snack and then another with my lunch. I also had some pork and carrots. For an afternoon snack I made a smoothie with coconut milk, a banana and a couple of dates. I know smoothies are frowned upon during the Whole 30 but let me have my moment! 

For dinner I had a burger with no bun and sweet potatoes. I've never really been a sweet potato fan but I really enjoyed these! And because I am eating an apple a day every day in 2014 I had an apple for 'dessert'. I sliced it up and sautéed it in a pan with coconut oil and cinnamon. It was quite yummy! 

I ended the day with a tummy ache. I felt as if someone was stabbing my stomach over and over again. Not sure why. I was hoping it had nothing to do with what I ate. I meant to post this blog last night but I was in so much pain I went to bed as early as possible. I feel much better this morning. I did, however, wake up with a headache. Whole30.com said I would though. So I was prepared for that. 

One day down. Twenty-nine days to go! 

   Email me

No comments:

Post a Comment