Oct 4, 2016

Oh Baby!

On Wednesday, September 7th, I went to see a mid-wife. I had been off the pill since February which means my husband and I had been trying to get pregnant for seven months and we hadn't had any luck yet. I knew I shouldn't be too concerned because I've heard it could take up to a year for your body to adjust after going off the pill. But I still wanted to be proactive and get checked out just in case. The mid-wife did a pap on me and I had some lab work done. While I was there, the nurse said, "Maybe we should do a pregnancy test since you are six days late." I told her, "I actually don't have to pee right now and I can guarantee that I'm not pregnant. I'm always late." Her and the mid-wife agreed that a pregnancy test wasn't necessary. The next day I saw online that all my lab work had come back normal, which meant I had nothing to worry about and now we just needed to continue trying. If five more months went by {meaning a year of trying} and we still weren't able to conceive, I'd have to self-refer myself to their infertility department. I was worried that that day would come but I had faith that God would bless us with a baby when He knew it was the right time.

I went on with my days. Thursday, September 8th I worked out with my trainer and both him and I noticed that I wasn't able to lift as heavy as I normally do. He even asked me if I had eaten enough that day. I told him yes and I didn't know what was going on with me. 

Friday, September 9th I worked out with my trainer again. I think I did a little better this time but I had eaten a banana as I was walking into the gym to make sure my body had proper fuel. After my workout, I went home to shower and get ready because I was going over to my parent's house for dinner and drinks. My mom had invited some friends over and wanted me to come as well. Stephen would also be heading there after work. 

As I was about to walk out the door, something inside me said, "You should take a pregnancy test." I saw a second faint blue line. I had never seen that before so I texted my friend, who I have known since I was two and who is also pregnant right now. 

I had so many emotions running through me. This can't be real. But what if it is? Don't get too excited yet. Stephen's going to freak out. How am I going to tell him? Is this really happening? 

I filled up one of my tumblers with water. I got in the car and I drank it as I drove to CVS. I purchased a two pack of pink line First Response tests. After that, I went to Rockin' Jenny's, a local sandwich shop. I had planned on grabbing myself a sandwich for dinner because my dad was making machaca, which I'm not a fan of. I calmly stood in line, ordered my sandwich to-go and then ran to their restroom to take another test. This is what showed up immediately after I peed on it. I texted my friend and told her it must have just been the stupid blue line test. She made a comment that she saw a little pink in there.

After three minutes, this is what the test looked like. I sent her another picture and she said, "Yeah totally looks positive to me! I would avoid drinking if I were you." 

So I went to my parent's house with the biggest secret I could ever keep from them. As soon as I walked in, I laid on the couch and said, "I have the biggest headache. I don't think I'll be drinking tonight." I actually had a bit of a headache so I wasn't lying. But I never turn down a drink so I'm sure they thought it was odd.

All of my mom's friends kept asking me when Stephen and I were going to have a baby. It was so hard for me to try to brush the conversation off. 

Stephen ate dinner and hung out with my dad when he got to my parent's house. I spent most of my time in the backyard with the ladies. It was extremely difficult to be right next to my husband and not be able to tell him so maybe I tried avoiding him a bit. 

When we got home later that evening, we settled in. Stephen had gotten one of his monthly nerd subscription boxes in the mail that day so I gave it to him and he ran into the garage to open it and take pictures. I didn't want to ruin his moment so I waited for him in the kitchen. When he finally came back in I asked how he liked his box and he showed me all the things he got, one of which was a Dr. Who bobble head. He also got a Delorean tshirt and he was already wearing it. When he was done showing me everything I asked, "Can I tell you something?" He said, "Okaaaaaaaaay." I said, "It's not 100% for sure yet but..." and I handed him the two pregnancy tests I had taken earlier that day. He said, "You can't get a false positive, especially on two different tests." I said, "I'm going to take one more test in the morning to be certain." He smiled and hugged me and in that moment, I got choked up. I asked him, "You're not freaking out?" He said, "No." I had always imagined him freaking out when I told him I was going to have a baby because he always needs to think things through and he gets nervous for huge life altering events. But maybe because we had been trying since February, he had time to mentally prepare.

Once we got past the excitement, he started talking about finances and how we needed to up our student loan payments and get our bed paid off and this and that. I was like, "Oh, there you are!" 

The next morning, Saturday, September 10th I jumped out of bed a little after 6am to take another test. And there they were, the two most beautiful lines I'd ever seen. I crawled back into bed with Stephen and told him, "You're definitely going to be a daddy" and he hugged me and we laid there taking the moment in. 

I feel so extremely blessed. I think it's crazy how I told my nurse that there was no way I was pregnant and then two days later something deep inside me knew that I was pregnant. I know God played a major role in all of this, like every other thing in my life. 

{I wrote this post on Tuesday, September 13th but I will be waiting to post it until after I reveal my pregnancy.}

   Email me

No comments:

Post a Comment